Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Finding the Airstream


RV’ing vs. camping is quite a personal decision.  We were die-hard tent campers for most of our lives.  My family took me camping when I was two years old to Havisupi Indian Reservation at the bottom of the Colorado River.  We took packhorses in and spent a week.  I had to take a shovel and go dig a hole, so that was before pit toilets.  I remember the fire falls in Yosemite.  During the day a big bonfire was lit and hot coals were ready to be pushed over the edge at Glacier Point.  George is an Eagle Scout and spent most of his fondest backpacking/camping memories camping out.  So it was a HUGE discussion on whether to buy a RV.

After much discussion we decided a smaller trailer would suit us well. We started to look for a trailer small enough to get into National Parks and Forrest Service campgrounds, but big enough to get out of inclement weather when camping.  We looked at all of the new ones, but nothing struck our fancy.  We were driving up highway 1 at Pismo Beach and saw….Airstream's!  Had to check them out.  After recovering from sticker shock at the price of new ones, we knew what we liked but wasn’t sure if we could afford it.

I started haunting Craig’s List and looked for “vintage” (another term for old) Airstream's.  We found online forums, several pages devoted to older trailers and finally a friend found a 1962, 26 foot Overlander and was in the process of remodeling it.  We were hooked. 

We finally found our 1975, 25 foot, Safari Airstream, extremely clean inside with original interior in Rogue River Oregon.  When we answered the ad it was exactly what we thought we wanted.  It is comfortable, and everything we need fits but after a year, I decided I hate “Country Blue” décor, time to redecorate!

So I had absolutely no idea what to do inside an Airstream.  I have a modest budget but I don’t want to get carried away.  So I did an Internet search…wow.  So many ideas and not too many I was interested in.  There is an Elvis theme, a Route 66 theme, Yogi Bear, vintage camping and others color schemes and an infinite amount of themed trailers.  Then there are the Airstream's that have been gutted and turned into film studios, apartments, hotel rooms, dressing rooms of celebrates and portable offices.  The new Airstream's have been the canvases of famous designers and sold for thousands of dollars.  If you are ever in Cape Town South Africa, The Gran Daddy Motel has seven Airstream's designed by local artists as hotel rooms.

So we decided to re-carpet, upholster the gaucho couch and update the roller shades.  Sounds simple right?  I am cross-eyed from looking at upholstery samples, who knew!  Finding what I like is so much harder than I thought..  So the plan is find material for the couch then a coordinating fabric for the fabric covered roller shades I have committed to making.  After that pick a carpet that makes the colors pop but not show too much dirt, it is a trailer after all.  Easy Peasy… hahahaha.

There is a one-inch track that originally had colored plastic, which over the years has hardened and cracked.  What to do?  I found adhesive tiles from Home Depot, “Smart Tiles” and cut them in strips and threaded this into the track.  It looks fantastic, like real tile and makes the colors pop.  We found discount upholstery fabric from an online place, New Toto.com.  They were great and I highly recommend them.  They will send you free samples.  You tube provided instruction on how to make a fabric covered roller shade.  New carpet, we decided hardwood flooring was too cold for us, and the face lift was complete.  George spent this time buffing the exterior and working towards a mirror finish. 


We wrapped up the redecorating last year and went on the road to Grand Teton/ Yellowstone.  We thought we were the best looking trailer in the campground.  So I am posting my redecorating photos.  This year we are putting solar panels on the top and will be self sufficient for dry camping.  Will update when we get them on.
 before pit toilets

 Country Blue
 The new print.

 Looking towards the back bathroom
 My kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment