Sunday, June 28, 2015

June 2015 Lake Project Update

I guess I am not disciplined enough to blog when sitting at home.  I think my home life is pretty hum drum, but when we adventure, that is another matter.  I also have to confess, a part time job found me.  It happened like this;  Alex, son #4, is working as a property manager at Susanville Real Estate and need some help while most of the realtors were out of the office for a couple of weeks.  He "volunteered " my services to "just answer phones and cover lunch".  So after a couple of weeks, I realized I liked being out in the working world and meeting new people and finding out what was going on.  So basically I am nosey and now I know stuff!.  I missed that being retired. George and I had fallen into the habit of not going anywhere or talking to anyone unless we were out adventuring.  So I work from noon to 4 or 5 most every day, but I can take off when we have plans.  Not too bad!  So Alex and I are lifting the burden of managing the rentals and allowing the agents to sell property.  No too different than my "old" job! 

George and I have been tackling the "Lake Project" and over the last few weeks been marking them off. On May 31, 2015 we went to Eagle Lake south shore.
Eagle Lake at the Marina 


It's low and this shot is from the low water ramp.  Eagle Lake is still beautiful and we were all alone on the foot path that connects Merrill Campground to Eagle CG to the beach.

On June 14th, we went to Silver Lake.  We were worried about the mosquitos, but we were surprised at how quiet and bug free Silver Lake was.  We were almost completely alone.  There was only one camper in both of the campgrounds.  We did have one other group for day use.
Silver Lake

Silver Lake did not appear to be low.  There was not any runoff into the Susan River so it is below it's natural rim, but overall seemed normal level.  We had so much fun there we decided to go camping over 4th of July weekend at Silver Bowl Campground. Planning on using that weekend to hike out into the Caribou to see more of the lakes in that area . Can hardly wait until George turns 62 this October, camping just a lot cheeper!



On June 19th, George and friend Glenn Denny went hiking into Lassen Park from Juniper Lake into Horseshoe Lake.  Glenn wanted to go fishing.  Back in 1975 (?) Glenn was a back country Ranger in the Park.  So George was kept entertained with stories from Glenn.  Juniper Lake is really down.
Juniper Lake



So they hiked to Horseshoe Lake, it was difficult because that big wind event that hit this area in February, knocked a lot of trees down.  It was too windy at the end where the old cabin Glenn had lived in was, so they bushwhacked around the lake to the middle of the horseshoe and he tried, without success, to fish from there.


Horseshoe Lake


Not many bugs, but George was sorry he did not wear long pants on that hike.  Next time he will be ready for the bushwhacking.










No comments:

Post a Comment