Saturday, February 21, 2015

Local Lake Project


Well I started!  We went out highway 44 today to visit McCoy Res, Hog Flat Res and Feather Lake.  When we were off adventuring, an extremely high wind event happened here locally and did some major damage to the trees along highway 44.  It is not a good time to be a tree.  Lodgepole, cedar, pine all came tumbling down.  I wondered; if the ground had been frozen, would the damage have been less?



Blown down and cracked

When I came up with this concept, it was really all about getting out and seeing the area I have lived in but not explored.  I figured out a 50 mile radius from Susanville on a map, drew a circle and listed all bodies of water in the circle.  I missed some, but it is a work in progress.  I didn't think this would turn into a documentation of our exceptional drought.

We headed out Highway 44 to County road 21 and then towards Antelope Lookout.  The road has been cleared of the down trees and is amazingly dry.  We found Feather Lake and it wasn't muddy as we walked to the lake shore.


No kayaking this lake.  There were some geese out in the middle.








Here is McCoy Flat Res, very low.  There is a shimmer of water way, way out there.


Here is Hog Flat Res.  Glad we came while there is still water, kinda.

I will post photos of the lakes on a page in this blog and post the location and date.  Should be interesting and easy if anybody following just want to see the photos.  I will also edit my original post and put a mark in front of the lakes I have visited if anybody want to follow my progress.   If anybody wants to go on an adventure with me, let me know and we can get a group together.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment